Oh I've been needing a place like this!

Post problems, suggestions, and site related questions here

• Greeting to everyone and ya'll! The names Aric (air-ick) and excited to find this place! Been wanting a place to geek out with fellow LCARS enthusiasts.

For a quick background, I am connected to a few different projects:

Lead UI Dev for the Star Trek Excalibur Project,
    Web Dev & Friend to the LCARS47 Team,
    Author of the LCARS SDK

I'm one of the crazies that believes LCARS is a viable environment and like to find opportunities to utilize LCARS in a functional capacity that still maintains a canon-quality visual and interaction methodology. I've specialized in creating functional LCARS environments using web tech languages. Elements and full panels are done up in vector stills (I use Illustrator) and those element settings are brought right over into CSS. With the LCARS SDK, it is relatively easy to design, code and add functionality to an LCARS panel or UI package. Pretty much, if a webview is involved in a project, LCARS could exist within the project (like STE).

I'm a little newer to the LCARS scene, I admit, and the tools I use might be strange but I hope to have some fun with ya'll! Below are links to some of my work if ya'll want to check it out.

DOMod for my custom Android launcher -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDsJAy8NBVk
    LCARS SDK -> https://github.com/AricwithanA/LCARS-SDK (http://www.lcarssdk.org)
    Excalibur -> http://www.stexcalibur.com

Attached is a final layout design for a Chrome/Firefox New Tab extension using the right half of Voyagers Mission OPS II. Uncolored I know, I just set down the default SDK color set.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    "Madness in method, that is genius."
    ― Leto Atreides II
    Aricwithana
    yrmenium
    yrmenium

• Welcome to this tiny place in the galaxy. Glad to have you here.

Dietrich
    Never give up - Never surrender!
    Cmdr.Kerner
    bronze
    bronze

• Hi Aricwithana be very welcome here. It is very nice that you found us and our forum. We need people like you to keep this very LCARS specific forum alive.

I am very glad to have you onboard. I am very curious to see your LCARS graphics and artwork ;) By the way it is very nice what I saw so far!
    Picard
    ocossium
    ocossium

• Glad to be welcomed!

I don't have a huge amount of art assets at the moment, mainly because of the focus of functionality since I need a reason to create a UI. This leads to working on the CSS/HTML than designing.

I spend most of my time atm working on the Excalibur UI and minor tweaks to the SDK. It is still missing a couple elements to generate but those will come. I would love to be able recreate some of your works with the SDK, the design seen here is so awesome (and Mr. Adge's site is a mainstay of reference for me). Of course, only with your permissions. The code core and design is influenced with 'standards' via Eleanor (L47) as a base and extrapolated from there. I put 'standards' because that is relative unless the original authors have provided something specific, lol. CSS can create pretty much any design variant so it was best to provide a base 'standard' for the SDK.

If any of you checked out the projects Facebook, but I announced that a large project is in the works: LCARS OS. Simple explanation is: Firefox OS powered, full conversion and app creation specifically for the OS. If any here would like to lend a hand, visually and interaction-wise, just say so. Yes LCARS doesn't 'exist' in the backend form, but from everything that can be known and extrapolated from the UI/interaction methodology, that all can be created. Once I get further in the Spec Doc I'll be releasing that as the official start of the project.

I'm excited to have a place to just discuss LCARS in general and somewhere to easily bounce ideas or others to work together with!
    ― Leto Atreides II
    Aricwithana
    yrmenium
    yrmenium

• how could i miss this thread....?
    a warm welcome from my side as well. i look forward to the discussions and coworking.....
    Last edited by deif on Sun 28. Sep 2014, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
    deif
    silver
    silver

• hehe, no worries, I'm just happy to have somewhere LCARS specific to exist in a forum state. I'm still oldschool, I don't mind a simple forum. lol Granted, I still exist on Skype and lots of communication there (which I'm open to for anyone that would like).

Since the place is newer I don't want to start posting in areas quite yet since areas look to still being sorted. I've got a few LCARS discussions or related topics ready at hand though. lol

I"m excited also. Some of the projects I put on hold to work on the LCARS OS, my biggest roadbump is mainly the UI design and interaction for them. It doesn't take a lot of backend code to add the functionality once the UI and interaction are created. My hope is that any of you all would like to try and hand on things like that, if a project piques an interest. Otherwise I just keep chugging along on STE, the SDK and the OS.

Edit: Oh and where ya'll located? I'm guessing alternate timezone than me, I'm used to it. lol I'm central timezone, from 'murica.
    ― Leto Atreides II
    Aricwithana
    yrmenium
    yrmenium

• good to here from you.
    we, the administrators, are all located mainland europe, means germany and switzerland. so murcia isn't really far away in terms of timezones. i remember visiting your city two years ago, when we spend holidays in torrevieja. look forward to hear from you.

deif
    deif
    silver
    silver

• Wait wait, now that I reread, sorry, I'm not in Spain, I'm in America. lol Either way that isn't so bad, so about 6 hours+ ahead of me. I'm used to that since much of the STE team is that direction also. lol
    ― Leto Atreides II
    Aricwithana
    yrmenium
    yrmenium

• :? that happens, if you only pop in and look over the posts. i should take me the time to read them properly. thnx to clear it, bros. :mrgreen:
    deif
    silver
    silver

Next

Return to GENERAL

Information