The LCARS Love Affair

here you could post your wonderful graphics showing the Library Computer Access and Retrieval System of the Star Trek universe
Wed 11. Jan 2017, 13:00

• Guys, I need your input. I'm writing a blog post about what makes LCARS so lovable among Star Trek fans.
    Why do you like the GUI?
    What makes you all recreate LCARS images, animations etc?
    What makes the look of LCARS so curious?

I need some input - thanks in advance.
    "You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"
    www.startrekblog.wordpress.com
    admiral_reliant
    ocossium
    ocossium

Wed 11. Jan 2017, 15:29

• Maybe it looks easy, clear, ordered, perhaps also easy to learn, BUT .... if you have a closer look, you are able to control
    everything by touching some here and some there. And I have learned that everyone is able or also allowed to configure a
    console like he or she wants to, for better and more effective work.

Well, not really easy to answer your questions. Hey, it is simply cool! And not PCAP! :lol:
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

Wed 11. Jan 2017, 20:35

• i have to second my friend kmpr'rak. LCARS is very clear and simple, but at the other side very elegant. you can combine the elements and they ar not only a game, but looks grat and make sense. mike okuda did a genius work with LCARS. just my two cents.
    deif
    silver
    silver

Thu 12. Jan 2017, 16:11

• I like the LCARS design because it is a very clean look with (nearly) only vertical and horizontal lines. Also the colour schemes are quite nice and it is universal to use.

Dietrich
    Never give up - Never surrender!
    Cmdr.Kerner
    bronze
    bronze

Thu 12. Jan 2017, 16:46

Mon 16. Jan 2017, 01:20

• I have to add I as able to create my ACARS basing on LCARS. And there are multiple other systems basing on LCARS!
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

Mon 16. Jan 2017, 09:11

• thnx, kmpr'rak.
    there is also FLC (Future LCARS Concept) based on LCARS and designed by robert and myself. it's a further development of LCARS with more round elements and a green-blue colorscheme.
    i've changed for example the consoles and monitors of the runabout shuttle, the Enterprise-E and Voyager bridge and many more in this FLC style.
    have a look here in this forum.
    deif
    silver
    silver

Tue 17. Jan 2017, 08:11

• Why do you like the GUI?

For me, LCARS the design is like a piece of artwork in a museum that draws you in, you can't escape and you can't really say why. I've loved it since I was kid, for it just made sense even being made up for a tv show. Cheesy I know but it's the truth. It is just logical, even with its inconsistencies at times cause of production crunch time frames. It is a visual representation of data and integrates the HCI within the framing design. While it might go against 'modern' interfaces (think like Apple 'standards' for iOS) for interaction standards, all well.

What makes you all recreate LCARS images, animations etc?

Childhood dream and because it makes sense to me. LCARS is capable of being more than just a design, either static or animated eyecandy. With the advent of touch devices everywhere now along with cheaper and cheaper monitors and two-in-one laptops the only thing really lacking is the high end predictive nature seen in show.

What makes the look of LCARS so curious?

LCARS is more than just a design. It is a methodology. What we see in show is limited compared to what LCARS is described to be, especially if we include the EU. Fans like us have the opportunity to flesh out, expand and enhance the methodology based on the design that was way beyond its time all because of Mr. Okuda.
    "Madness in method, that is genius."
    ― Leto Atreides II
    Aricwithana
    yrmenium
    yrmenium

Return to LCARS (OKUDAGRAMS)

Information