Sol Biance

Sat 17. Jan 2015, 22:11

• Some years ago I did a model for the Sol Biance for some surface designing experiments using an finite elements simulator.
    Aside from the design aspect, the simulator would allow me to do volumetric calculation and other structural optimization as well as e.g. hydrodynamic/airflow simulations. 8-)
    It's not your ordinary 3D program. It requires math definitions (parametric coding, e.g. mathematical expression) instead of vertexes etc.
    Needless to say the Sol Biance is one of my favorite ships, hence, my choice for the test.

front, dynamic surface tiling
    ImageImageImage
    somewhat different surface tiling
    ImageImageImage
    simplified view without surface structure, rotating view

exported model with some export errors
    Almael
    ocossium
    ocossium

Sun 18. Jan 2015, 18:30

Mon 19. Jan 2015, 07:36

• Not really, relatively, but I'm not lying when I say it's not something anyone could do either.

There are:
    2030 data points or splines or ellipses
    1000 lines or surfaces
    written in 3900 lines of parametric code

The biggest problem was to keep track of what I'm writing or what I'm seeing. All that parametric stuff isn't telling anything.
    It's all a wall of code and numbers. The only good thing was I was able to reuse certain part of the code with changes to the parameters.

That said I did it in 12 days...faster than most of my difficult projects. 8-)
    And that despite some major fixing and changes due to either bugs or inaccuracies or dump program unable to mesh certain surfaces.

The bad thing is the newer program versions had major changes that no longer are compatible with the file format as well as the simulation file codes... I can't use them anymore :evil: , although it's not a problem to transfer the code to different CAD program. It still requires them to be input by hand. :evil:
    Almael
    ocossium
    ocossium

Wed 21. Jan 2015, 17:25

Mon 16. Feb 2015, 06:32

• Reminds me of the ships seen in the Tenchi Muyo Anime series :)
    If your not laughing, Your not living ~ Carlos Mencia
    Capt. Kaiser
    ocossium
    ocossium

Wed 25. Feb 2015, 22:24

• Well, I think it was about the same time. But imho the tenchi ones with those ships came later.
    And since I'm at it I did one for the Relic ship, too. ;)

Here, it's seen in a simulation box, ready for a dynamic fluid simulation. It should have look like this
    I was using a dolphin code but it was flawed. As it turns out later the program had a code change without bothering to tell anybody and since then things became incompatible.
    Almael
    ocossium
    ocossium

Fri 27. Feb 2015, 18:58

• Wow, this is great. Never seen something like that before.
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

Tue 10. Mar 2015, 03:24

• Thanks.
    If you are interested you should for example look herehttp://bugman123.com/Engineering/index.html. These people even used Povray. Povray has improved so much since I used it last ... and that was when I was still in highschool and fractal routines became available i.e. explosions
    Almael
    ocossium
    ocossium

Return to S - Z

Information