Battlestar Galactica: Voices of the Colonies-After the Fall

• This is a book project with stories I started around 2009, and I wrote several stories over the years and did also some graphic artwork.

Here the original cover so far.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    Last edited by Kmpr´rak on Sat 31. Jan 2015, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• I also did some sketches for a possible magazine edition, "pimped up" with different Colonial artwork from me.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• Pages from inside.
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• And the last pages plus reverse cover.
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• At the beginning of 2015 I worked a bit on the project again, and I created a better looking cover for a book so far!
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• And here, the first story. Some may know it already from "somewhere else". :D

Duplidicon 22nd, 18:11. Day of the fall.
    Eva Memnik, Wheat Farmer.
    Farming Prospect 142-C, Aerilon.

“What do you say? Attacks? On Aerilon? Do not talk trash, annor!

No time for this frak, there is still a lot of work here. You have two hands, c’mon, help me, only 4,000 plants left. The colonies want to eat, and we soilcrawlers have to care for it!

Wait. Bombs? Not again these toasters! True? Then we’re all dead. Believe me, not again we’ll take that like ’14! I know what I am talking about. You on Caprica were the lucky ones, hm, we were not.
    Yes, bombs, we all had bombs, making craters in our fields, killing all what was there. Yes, bombs, in your cities also. But Caprica was the lucky one, the small colonies were nearly wiped out!

A break would be fine for you, I see.

Ten plants, and your hands look like mine after ten million ones. Who wants to eat who has to plant who has to harvest! But only Aerilons know what this means. Really means at all! And I do know now.
    If it’s true that these frakking blinker noddies come again, I will tell you what you want to know! Better, hm, perhaps there is no more a new day, no tomorrow like we think it is the most normal thing. Crazy stupid idea.

Originally I am from Virgon, Nadley Valley, don’t know if you ever heard about that place. It is
    a fine place, You’ll never guessed it, well, my Virgon accent has gone long time ago. Now I am speaking with Aerilon one. Great. Some would think it is not.

It was long before these toasters were invented. Built by these large companies printing money in their basements and hoping nobody will ever care about what they are doing really. I was a young girl on Virgon, a rebel my parents would say. Coming home when I wanted, go out when I wanted, always doing what I wanted. My parents never understood what I really thought - yeah, these were my days on Virgon, sometimes when it comes into my mind I have to laugh.

But then it was over. On one day, I was 19, I met him, and my life changed forever.

Richard.

Blonde, tall, nice, smiling - and from Aerilon. Until then I never thought about the foreign colonies, Virgon was independent like the others were. But the day when I met this Aerilon man changed my life forever.

A Virgon rebel girl became an Aerilon country wife! Fine. But this whole thing was not as easy as I tell you this right now. And time went not by so fast! My parents were shocked, really and deeply shocked when I told THEM about Richard. ´Evi`, they said, and Evi was my nickname, ´why an Aerilon? You’re so beautiful, so damn beautiful, why?`

I think they did not understand that this was true love. The thing with Richard! My parents, Cedric
    and Pera Neigler, both from upper-class Virgon families, married early. They had an arranged one, you know? The people today cannot believe there were times managed marriages were absolutely normal. My parents had an arranged marriage. When I found out with the age of 12, I swore to and for my own - NO! No Evi, if you’ll ever marry, then because you’re truly loving someone. No arrangements, only pure and deep love. Hm, girly dreams, but I never broke my oath!

And then Richard came. My Richard. From Aerilon.

One evening, I think it was two sectons before my 20th birthday, I invited Richard to my house, the house of my parents. I had told ’em I would bring a friend with me - a friend, yes, they never would have thought it would be my boy-friend, and I also did not tell them! Two hours, nice evening until then, well, two hours later I said goodbye to Richard with a short kiss. Then I went back. I was so excited, but I smiled and told my parents WHO Richard really was, was for me!

One or some words may change situations immediately, from one moment to another. Sunshine into rain, light into darkness.
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• ... and Part II:

Dad’s newspaper fell down, and mom had to sit down. Their Evi and an Aerilon? ´Evi`, my mom said this as I can remember, I think so, ´why an Aerilon?`
    I said I’d love him with the whole of my heart.

I think that was too much for one evening.

I cannot remember everything, I am too old now for it, but the following weeks were true horror for me. Richard and I met, yeah, but it was on secret places and times. Six sectons! My birthday was a frosty day this yahren, but okay, if my parents could not accept the luck of their child, I could accept the poorest birthday of my life.

And then this black day came, when my father lost his job.

The company he had worked for ordered new workers from the employment agency, and bad luck another time for me, these workers came from Aerilon. Cheaper for my dad’s boss than the native Virgon ones. I’ll never forget what my dad said and how he defamed the Aerilons. It was terrible for me. Hey, I was not a rebel anymore, I was a young women loving an Aerilon man!

This night I made my decision.

Next day I was with Richard, right after school. And I went to this travel bureau with him, not seeing his asking eyes - well, I bought two tickets for Aerilon. When I told Richard why, his eyes were bright, and he was so happy. I was torn inside, yes, I loved Richard so much, but my parents - they did not know or see what I wanted for me, but they were my parents, I did not hate ‘em!

Seven hours later, I left Virgon with only some things I took with me from home. A little sheet with some notes from my was there on the kitchen table. I never thought my parents would understand me, but so they knew what I had done and were I would be.

I never was again on Virgon, and I never saw my parents again. Richard was my family now.

My only family. He married me in 21301, shortly before the darkness, no, the “chrome”ness came over us.

The Cylons.

Aerilon is under attack, these are bad news you bring with. No better ones? ´Caprica suffers under poorness` or so? Sorry, you’re from Caprica, right?
    If they make it like ’14 and the years before, they will bomb supply depots and the spaceports first. And then, they will throw out toxic things from their raiders, killing all our plants and animals. Frakking nodders!

21310 was a very bad yahren. Richard and I were full of deepest sorrows. The soil was contaminated, Cylon raiders nearly every day above, bombing the last out of us, bad news from other colonies about full occupation, dead and extinction! One half of Aerilon was occupied by the Cylons, why they did not the same with the other half, we still do not know. Later that yahren news were heard about an Aerilon Liberation Corps that should be drawn up.

It was the first time Richard and I had real trouble!

He wanted to become a member of the A.L.C., he wanted to kill every toaster he would see! Oh Richard, his mind changed so far during this time. He was a real country man, but after the Cylons had crashed down his life, he became so, well, he was not the same anymore. The situation collected all this hate inside him. Every word I said against the A.L.C. was wrong for him. He wanted it, to serve
    and to kill, man against metal toaster!

And then he went! Five letters, three sectons, dead forever!

He left me when he went to the corps, but he really left me by dying. They wanted to throw out a company of Cylons, it was a coal depot, I think. Richard was one of the first wave, and then - one of his comrades visited me later, after the victory. They never ever found any piece of him again! Sounds strange, but I believed for several yahrens he would come back again.

He never did, and he’ll never will.
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• ... and Part III.

Twelve happy yahrens, that was all we had. All I had with him. I never married again, no. I never loved again like I loved him.

My parents? Well, I think you want to know this. Hm, there is no more to tell. They were killed already when the Cylons bombed the large Virgon cities early in the war. I have some pics of the crater that was my home before, a nice piece of soil with a nice house and nice people! My city was bombed for three days, no break! Three days the Cylons bombed the city without any mercy.

Remembering hurts. Sometimes.

But now, If you’re right, with the toasters I mean, this is all what we have. Do you know how my first planting time was here? Hm, how should you! Without husband, it was hard. I had to work all day on the fields. Before, I was mainly at home, but now ...

It was not difficult to get the job Richard had within the complex here. One Memnik or another
    one, who cares. The time after the war was so poor of emotions. But as you see, I am still here.

Here were he was.

Do you think the Cylons know what it means to plant and to harvest? Are they really only killers, death bringers, warriors?

They are. Because they killed without mercy, without asking. Man, woman, child, animal, whatever.

Perhaps they are not. Who knows? I think nobody cares. Maybe there is something in them similar to a human heart. Hey, we’ve built these things, and children always have something from their parents.

Did you hear that? This noise? I think a storm front is coming. You’d like a tea? Come into my house, we can talk there if you like. Tomorrow is a new day, work will still be there.”
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• Well, and here the second one, Part I:

Tertiam 1st, 20:42. 5 days after the fall.
    Karen Stephner, Nurse.
    Seaside Plains Hospital, Aquaria.

“It was like a cruel storm over us. A day we thought it will never come. And a time we hoped never would fall over our people.

After the last days I am shocked and sad, even more than tired or down! Yeah, I am a nurse in a hospital, and sure, I often had to see the wildest things - but all this was nothing. Really nothing!

When I woke up five days ago, the sun lighted up my sleeping room. A nice day, warmer than some of the last summer. And here on Aquaria, the last summers were really hot! Even warmer than on Caprica. When I think about that, it makes me smile a little. The days before were long, car accidents, hovercraft explosions, well, the normal average things always happened. And we had to put them together again, the poor devils!

I was tired, but if I had known what would happen later the day, the last day of mankind, I had tried everything to get from this frakking world. Believe me, believe everything I say. If it was a kind of an omen? Or was it destiny? A god’s handshake? Hm, the day was silent and calm, I think we only had six new entrances in the emergency room. Last month we had more than 30 every day!

My short tea time break was nearly over, I think it
    was a quarter past six when I heard a sound I’ve never had heard before! Distant, but loud, a disgusting noise. Foreign. Undefined. Unknown.
    Before I got a new emotion or if I could think about - well, I don’t know, it is difficult to describe it - the light before my eyes flashed and I was thrown against a massive glass wall right behind me. Ten meters.
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• ... and Part II:

After a while, I cannot say anything about minutes or so, okay, after a while I woke up because someone screamed out my name! My dad was not the best, hm, he often screamed, also my name, but this screaming next to me was louder than anything I remembered.

It was my best friend, Angela, also a nurse here at Seaside Plains. My eyes were heavy, but after some more undefined seconds I could open them. Oh my dear Angela, dirty in her face, blood out of her nose, but even during this moment she had the face of an angel. Her parents were right to give her the name she had.

I stood up and tried to see what has happened. My back was full of pain, and Angela helped me while we were going to the large windows right in front of us. No glass was there anymore, while the floor was covered with shattered pieces, crunching under our feet. What we saw was the end of all, I don’t know what you’ve seen when you came here, but Angela started to cry, and I - well, there was nothing in me while we looked out there, I could not cry, or laugh or whatever. I only stood there, looked out and wondered where the borough was where our hospital was located.

Nothing was there, except a massive cloud of dust. No voices, no scream, no traffic noise!

Aquaria is a calm world, or it was, nothing of it is there anymore like we knew it. But this silence was disgusting and hopeless like nothing before. That it was the end of mankind, nobody knew at this time.

Doctor Chalman, a former colleague from Draven Hospital, came down the floor, shocked and aged in his face. His clothes were torn, and he also had some blood in his face. I can’t say if I had blood in my face, I don’t remember. Crazy, but I can’t.
    Angela and I could say nothing. Doctor Chalman only took us in his arms, being happy to see us alive!

The silence out of the hospital did not stop, and against it we began to play the tape we had learned on the Medical School. We began to care for our patients, for the hurt people we found on the floor and who came to us. And believe me, now the emergency rooms were overfilled. You cannot believe how many came, although outside there was only dust and nothing like we knew it.

I think it was around nine o’clock in the evening when a small troop of soldiers came in. We had worked since we, hm, well, since we woke up after the unknown incident that crashed in our world. The soldiers then brought light into the dark.

Mister Vencher, an old man suffering under permanent heart and liver problems, also a fleet veteran having served on different Battlestars, already had talked to his bed neighbors about what he thought has happened. Okay, they had no beds anymore, but they lied on their mattresses on the floor. No one thought Mister Vencher could be right or the rumors he spoke out were the truth.

But they were. Sergeant Sammer or Samner, I did not his name because we only heard it in the last row, this sergeant confirmed the things an old man believed in: the Cylons were back and had
    attacked the Twelve Colonies.

You remember what I have said about this day? Well, the silent time was over, and a bitter truth came to the light. We were at war, and the military was not able to protect us. That was the end, the beginning of Hades, our final day.

On this evening the Chief Med, Doctor Alkors, talked to the assembled personnel, I think only four or five of us were not there, we found them later dead, crushed under a projecting roof, about what the future could bring for us. A lot of words, really marked by his own shock, but finally Alkors tried to convince all of us to stay - stay for our patients and stay for our duty.

Well, take a look around! We were 29, only on this station. And now? After Angela was gone we’re only 12, but we must care for six time more patients than before! Ah, Angela. I think I have not told why she is not here anymore. This is another thing where I am wondering I cannot cry!
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• Continuing this story ...

Two days ago the first MedRap was able to land on the last intact roof here. And this time there were not only new patients, there were also three doc’s from the military hospital at Glamer Bank. Angela and I were with the group transporting a young severely injured girl to our station. The only companion the young lady had was her teddy bear, dirty looking like we all do. I can’t say when or where Catrina, that’s her name, lost this bear.

What I know sure is Angela was the first who saw the empty place next to Catrina. And you know how she is, was, excuse me, you don’t even knew here, well, Angela was like I said, an angel and absolutely right in her job. If Catrina would woke up and see her teddy wouldn’t be there, oh no, that cannot be! That must be in Angela’s mind.

The last words I said to here were that she should not forget to bring something with her for our breakfast, although it was after noon! You know there were some food automats in the small cafeteria right under the roof, and we ate that food because it was still good food. Okay, doesn’t matter. I saw her ran around the corner to the Yankard Complex - not knowing I would never see her again.

Chief Nurse Spader later told me that it was obviously because the Medical Raptor tried to fly away at its fastest speed. Perhaps believing Cylons could attack. Rumors say they landed ground troops and annihilate settlement after settlement.
    Hm, Nurse Spader believes that this was the reason the roof crashed down! Over Angela. Over the frakking automats and this luffing sour donuts!

I lost my best friend two days ago, and we were not even able to salvage her body. Nothing from her, not even a part of her clothes. And also not Catrina’s teddy! We are only 12 left here, did I told you this?

Currently Catrina, this young girl, is still alive, but there is no hope for her to recover completely. It is also possible that she will not survive the following night! With teddy or not. The injuries on her head are so severe, her arms are broken multiple times, and if her legs ever will be able to carry her again is not sure. I pray to the gods for her, for us all, but since Angela’s dead, I do not believe like I did before.

My break is nearly over, excuse me. A job has to be done, if there are Cylons or not. Frak, I even don’t know what a toaster looks like today! Yes, I had it in school, but history isn’t mine! I hated it! Hm, I hope it will never come the day a Cylon will step into the ER. Okay, then it is over because these things have no mercy for us! But if this day would come, I don’t know if I would step aside and let ‘em kill my patients.

Too pathetic, hm? Well, I am not sure how it will go on. I have lost my best friend, my life like I knew it and I have lost all what I have possessed. Except my heart blood and my energy. Or is it only the work keeping me alive? Whatever it is, I hope it will not destroy me. And it will give me some time to grieve and cry for the dead.

So or so, even if we die or go down, even if these frakking chromes will kill us and stamp us into the dirty grounds, our worlds will survive. And even perhaps some lucky ones on a vessel between our worlds.

My break is over. I have to work. Time isn’t standing still.”
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

• Starting with the third story, Part I:

Tertiam 2nd, 20:01. 6 days after the fall.
    Leoben Conoy, Cylon.
    somewhere on Tauron.

"Sometimes it is very bad to be vulnerable, soft, unknown. Sometimes it is very bad to be - human!
    Whoever is proud to be, it is not really cool to have a human body. Believe me, to be a Cylon in a human body does not mean you are not vulnerable.

No.

I came here four yahrens ago, Brother Cavil said ‘believe me, Tauron is a nice place for someone like you’. Okay, Tauron. Tribal society, traditions, blood feuds - no, that was not the world I had heard of before. THIS Tauron was another place, with clean and modern cities, extended streets full of this human traffic. THIS Tauron was absolutely a place where you wanted to be - wanted, yes, because it is gone.

By us, the Cylons.

Brother Cavil was right, he did not lie. I cannot remember he ever lied to anyone of us. Of us Cylons.

In Brekan, the small city where I lived as a commercial representative from Scorpia, I had a small apartment, and I shared it with a woman, a really beautiful one, for the last two yahrens.
    No, of course she was not a Cylon, no. We are everywhere, on every colony, even within a small refugee fleet led by a man they call the last hope of mankind, a Commander Adama. That is what I have heard. They are somewhere out there, I do not know for how long they will survive our game.

Kiana was a beautiful girl, aged 27, long and brown hair, if I would have ever be programmed with a taste for liking such girls, well, I would have liked HER. Indeed, after all that has happened, during the last days especially, I even think - stupid for a machine perhaps - I loved her.

I loved Kiana.

A Cylon loving a human girl, crazy, isn’t it? I look like a human, but I would have been ended, maybe, as a machine marrying a human girl, and nobody ever would have recognized it. But things changed. The world changed.

But even John never explicitly said it is impossible to love, although personally I think he would not be able to love. HE. Believe me, he is able to hate, everything and everyone. He hates mankind, disloyalty, and everything others like.

The night the bombs fell was warm and lighten up by millions of bright stars, the colony of Scorpia dominating the left part of the sky. Kiana was so tired, it was a hard working day for her. And it was our last day together. Why humans developed so much frak, but never a technology to resurrect their broken bodies, is a mystery for me. I think John would not like to hear that, but this is not a problem for me at all. Sometimes there are things he better will not ear about. And I am not the only one who would say that. Not the only Cylon model, I mean.
    Kmpr´rak
    deltagold
    deltagold

Return to SCIFI AND MORE

Information